I ate a burger today. Actually, it was a double cheeseburger. I was alone. No one who knew me was anywhere close. I thought it was a good idea at the time. I once went 17 consecutive years during which I ate at least one hamburger a day, sometimes 3 or 4. (I am sure that some of you out there have borne witness to all or part of that streak.) Here are some of my favorite burgers. What are yours?
- Bar Boulud London, Mandarin Oriental Hotel, London: Piggie Burger with BBQ Pulled Pork, Bibb Lettuce, Green Chili Mayonnaise, Cheddar Bun, Red Cabbage Slaw;
- Burger Joint at Le Parker Meredien, 119 W. 56th Street, NYC: The basics, no frills, grilled to perfection;
- Bay Burger, 1742 Bridgehampton-Sag Harbor Turnpike, Sag Harbor: Freshly baked homemade buns, in-house freshly ground beef, Tater Tots, homemade ice cream;
- White Castle, a neighborhood somewhere in the Mid-Atlantic or Midwestern United States nowhere near you: 8-12 sliders with onion rings best eaten after 2am, my favorite location was in Newark, NJ in the 1980’s on my way home from work/play; and
- Steak n’ Shake, road trip stop in the Southern or Midwestern United States: all this thinking about burgers has made me crave a shake!