My wife and I love the beach. A beach somewhere has been at the center of many special memories. Here are some of my favorites. Tell us about some of yours.
- The Hamptons: We have a house in Bridgehampton that we love in part because it is close to the beach so we get the ocean breeze and fresh sea air. We are just a short walk or bike ride away and we often just go for a few hours in the late afternoon to read, talk or take a nap. Whenever we visit beaches in other parts of the world we always conclude that our beach in the Hamptons is the best. That’s our view and we’re stickin’ to it.
- Caneel Bay (1980): We spent our honeymoon here. Located in St John, U.S. Virgin Islands, the Caneel Bay of 1980 was a tranquil and elegant resort with seven relatively private beaches, no TV’s or telephones, and no nightlife other than each other. Unfortunately, we went back for our 25th anniversary and it had been updated with all the modern amenities and become “family friendly”, so now its just a memory.
- Jones Beach (1960-70’s): My adolescent summer hangout in the days when we thought Johnson’s Baby Oil was the perfect suntan lotion and my tanned pumped guns looked great in a white “Guinea Tee”(or so I thought).
- Montauk: My first beach vacation in the early sixties with my parents, ruined by my sister’s constant crying and non-stop rain, but it didn’t put me off beach vacations. Montauk is still one of my favorites with great waves, July 4th fireworks, fresh lobsters, and deep sea fishing trips.
- Maldives: Family holiday for my eldest daughter’s 21st birthday, where we took a boat trip, went snorkeling and had a birthday picnic on a private sand bar. The Maldives are a stunning archipelago in the Indian Ocean, with thousands of islands that are actually the tops of an undersea mountain range that is quickly sinking. As the lowest country in the world, it may not be with us much longer, so get there soon.
- Phuket: Another great family holiday at a private villa at the Amanpuri Resort in Thailand with some of the most beautiful water and sand we have seen, plus great food and service.
- Boca Raton: It has long been our dream to have our own place right on the beach. We finally realized that dream when we bought a condo on the beach at One Thousand Ocean the Boca Raton Resort and Beach Club earlier this year.
This entry was posted in Travel
and tagged Beaches
. Bookmark the permalink